What do you mean by trigger?

By missworld Latest Activity January 2 at 9:53 pm Views 67 Replies 11

missworld

People bandy the word 'trigger' around.

Do you mean triggered a mood episode?

Or triggered an emotional response?

As a few know, I'm newish to the terms of this disorder, diagnosed formally recently but symptomatic for at least 17 years. I just don't get this whole 'trigger' thing.

For me things that seem to be associated with mood episode have been changes in season and associated light, significant disruptions to sleep patterns, and intense life experiences.

Is that what is mean? Things that seem to flip you into an episode?

It just seems to be used in the context of 'triggered' meaning, had an emotional response, ie. was sad or distressed by.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (11 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • starlight 315
    starlight 315 January 3 at 6:07 am   

My trigger is when someone commits suicide. I can't stop thinking about it and putting myself in there place. I get extremely sad that we lost one of our own to the demons we fight every day. And i focus on it for days

• Ambelina
    Ambelina January 3 at 5:34 am   

I agree 100%. The concept of "triggers" is baffling to me. I believe it is not used in proper context and I don't really like that it's even used at at. My bipolar manifested about six years ago. When I started therapy my doc said let's discover your triggers. I asked her to explain and her answer was the things that can upset you and cause an episode. So I went home and started writing down these "triggers". Once my list hit page two I realized that everything is a trigger. Life is one giant trigger. And not only that something that upset me yesterday might not matter anymore today. So if we are supposed to avoid these triggers by knowing what they are, that would mean I literally could never leave my bed. We are emotional beings with chemical imbalances. I can't measure my daily chemicals nor predict my emotions. So herein lies the problem I have with the triggers concept. It teaches you to avoid the things that can upset you. I would rather learn how to recognize my emotions and anything that upsets me and teach myself to properly handle them. Episodes can come and go anytime. I believe we have the power in ourselves to control so much more then we think we can. When something upsets me I'm not going to thumb thru a notebook and see if I have yet to write that "trigger" down. I would much rather learn to recognize I am beginning to feel mentally unwell and take control of myself before the episode fully manifests. I know I can't control everything physiologically or emotional. But I can learn to recognize the symptoms of distress I am having in that moment. Once recognized I must use my own mind and will power and challenge my myself to address my emotions logically. Many times irrational thought processing combined with an imbalance of chemicals are what causes my episodes. Meds can assist with the imbalance. What many people don't seem to realize is that this disorder requires daily maintenance that's more then just relying on a pill. As you physically become healthier through simple things such as diet and exercise you assist your brain naturally in the rebalance of chemicals. I do believe meds are always required once initially diagnosed. The medication "trial and error"period is different with every individual but you are your greatest ally. The key to controlling this disorder lies within. Avoiding life is not a solution.

• InnovaChing
    InnovaChing January 3 at 2:17 am   

A trigger is anything that swings your mood, whether be depression, anger, mania, crippling moments

A trigger is something that alters your psyche in a negative impact

• missworld
    missworld January 3 at 3:10 am   

I have trouble with that definition.
    Something that instigates a bipolar mood shift is not the same as something that produces an overwhelming emotion. The duplicity of use irks me.

Semantics, I know.

• prettyinblue
    prettyinblue January 2 at 10:02 pm   

My trigger is reading , watching, hearing, anything with child abuse and a mother being abusive to their children… If when I read about 'my trigger ' I usually first go into hours of deep thought , thinking about the past, my mood changes to sour, I will obsessively ponder how many children are being abused… And before I know it, it's midnight and I'm clutching my favorite teddy while frantically trying to text or call anyone. In short, it puts me in distress mode . Not really an episode . I'm sure it's different for many people .

• Momma2all
    Momma2all January 3 at 9:22 am   

I have the EXACT trigger and the EXACT same response. Stems from my childhood.

• missworld
    missworld January 2 at 10:14 pm   

That's kind of what I expected, but honestly - I think this is a relatively normal emotional response, particularly if it stirs up memories of traumatic experiences - I'm the same when I hear stories of rape - but isn't this more suggestive either PTSD than BP?

• prettyinblue
    prettyinblue January 2 at 10:32 pm   

A lot of us have PTSD and BP..
    Also, BP people that have the urge to physically harm their bodies could be triggered by a simple word like 'cut' … And that's just an example… Many people with BP without PTSD have their own triggers .. But Realistically speaking it's so hard to not trigger someone. Somebody will always be triggered by something. It's very unavoidable .

• missworld
    missworld January 3 at 3:13 am   

Yeah, I know. I get the sense of it being used instead of 'it really upset me' though. Which bugs me.