Bipolar Couple

By BipolarCreation Latest Activity February 3, 2012 at 10:32 am Views 936 Replies 43 Likes 1

BipolarCreation

What would it be like to be part of a Bipolar Couple? One of you manic while the other is depressed or both of you manic?! Makes my head spin. What are your thoughts?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (43 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • tweetsox
    tweetsox February 5, 2012 at 9:53 am   

I have and it was hell. Neither of us were diagnosed at the time so it was double hell. Both of us were drinking alcohol and misusing RX meds at the time so it was triple hell. We met when we were both UP and that was fantastic (in our minds). I'm sure everyone around us didn't think so because we ripped a hole through anything that got in our way. Then I fell …

• rachelmath
    rachelmath February 4, 2012 at 10:32 am   

Been with my husband on & off for 14 years. He suffers from depression & lived the gangster lifestyle in NY. Moved back to UK in august 2010. He joined us in September & terminally sick. I'm now his full time carer. Codependant?

• Robert111
    Robert111 February 3, 2012 at 5:37 pm   

I married my wife only to discover that she and I are both Bp…I just remember that the mood shall pass and to not get too wrapped up in it. Sometimes it's a hard thing to do, for we separated a couple times already …but learned that we got to stay on our meds and tolerate each others altered mood when we need to.

• BipolarCreation
    BipolarCreation February 3, 2012 at 4:35 pm   

I think a dating site for mentally I'll people is sad. Who the hell thought that one up? If they charge for that it should be illegal!

• gert.tea
    gert.tea February 3, 2012 at 2:26 pm   

I would definitely give it a shot if the opportunity came around, because I never have. Or maybe I have and never realized it, meh.

• Linn's.A.Mess.
    Linn's.A.Mess. February 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm   

..but we were very young. Teenage years.

• Linn's.A.Mess.
    Linn's.A.Mess. February 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm   

I've dated another bipolar. It's difficult for me personally. Always angry and also a rapid cycler. Wasn't healthy.

• BipolarCreation
    BipolarCreation February 3, 2012 at 3:14 pm   

I don't think I could date another BP. I already get on my own nerves enough as it is.

• Linn's.A.Mess.
    Linn's.A.Mess. February 3, 2012 at 10:11 pm   

That was exactly it! I barely tolerate myself. I couldn't tolerate him. I don't know how my husband and family deal with me.

• Lo7us
    Lo7us February 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm   

My husband and I are BP.
    You can ask me questions. Any of you can ask me questions.
    We don't sync or anything like women do with menstrual cycles. However, we do recognize when the other is manic or anxious or pissed and we know what to do to help. It is probably harder than if neither of us were BP, but since we are we are more in tune with ourselves and each other making us stronger.

• elaineyeoh
    elaineyeoh February 3, 2012 at 2:14 pm   

How do you get closer to love your partner when moods create rifts? How do you cope with little ones?

• Hope2staystrong
    Hope2staystrong February 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm   

I think that's great and amazing that you guys are together and happy :)

• Ninerznina
    Ninerznina February 3, 2012 at 11:58 am   

I think I'd want to experiment with this and see if a relationship with another bipolar could work out. It would be nice that you could both understand each other, but if both of you are in a mood, I can't see that working out too well, or maybe you'll be able to give each other space or work past that better knowing its connected to the disorder. Also the instability could cause either to go even more crazy, so, hmm. I wonder. Agh, like ones persons moods triggering another's and vice versa, it does seem a bit dangerous, but I'd be willing to give it a try.

• elaineyeoh
    elaineyeoh February 3, 2012 at 11:35 am   

That will be a combination allright and it would total chaos. Its just that for women with bipolar to attract a male is a lot easier. Guys that have whatever women dont settle for less and end up up and leaving. It just makes it more difficult for us. Not a attack on the opposite sex. Its just my humble opinion

• Hope2staystrong
    Hope2staystrong February 3, 2012 at 1:24 pm   

I also see it as men staying with woman because they want to try to fix the ones that they love. Not fix exactly but try to make the woman as happy as possible.

• BipolarCreation
    BipolarCreation February 3, 2012 at 11:40 am   

I don't quite understand what you are saying. Do you mean that you think women are more tolerant than men and would be able to handle a relationship where both are BP better?

• elaineyeoh
    elaineyeoh February 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm   

nina is correct. its not even the fact of being shallow its the fact that women feel that they dont want to compromise any longer. And if you dont stack up to the ideals of a woman a good chance that she wont stay with you. The dating scene is a real battlefield of wits. Women win more in this game.

• elaineyeoh
    elaineyeoh February 3, 2012 at 12:14 pm   

not an attack on women.

• BipolarCreation
    BipolarCreation February 3, 2012 at 3:18 pm   

BP cat fight! Only kidding. Would be funny though :)

• Ninerznina
    Ninerznina February 3, 2012 at 11:55 am   

I think he's saying the opposite, that men will stick around and be patient, possibly try harder to make things work even if she is bipolar, but that women will be the ones to leave as they won't stay with a man that's bipolar, because they won't settle for less. I hope I didn't say that in a way to upset anyone, just wanted to clarify for you what he meant. I have to say I can see this being true, not in all cases, but in some, I think it depends on the woman, if she is shallow I can see her not trying to put work into the relationship, but at the same time I can't see a shallow man sticking around either =P.

• Kvno
    Kvno February 3, 2012 at 2:22 pm   

I always thought women had a tendency to want to help or "fix" someone. I always had a tendency to subconsciously seek out fixer uppers so to speak lol whether they wanted help or not. I would think women would b more tolerant. Surprising!

• Ninerznina
    Ninerznina February 4, 2012 at 4:26 am   

Yep, I tend to end up with the ones with many issues themselves, I think I like to comfort and help them feel better and change their views about themselves. Then again the bipolar comes out and things go haywire. Maybe bipolar women are different in that they understand and because of that they really want to help. I guess it really does depends on an individual basis a lot to do with environment, how you were raised, what you've experienced in your life, yadda yadda.

• BipolarCreation
    BipolarCreation February 3, 2012 at 3:19 pm   

I've been trying to fixer upper mine for nine years now.