BPDC Garden Club!

By Physis 3.0 Latest Activity April 13, 2013 at 1:31 pm Views 415 Replies 27 Likes 2

Physis 3.0

April 13 Aussie 14
Time to talk dirt…

Do you have a certain plant you are looking forward to planting this year?

For anybody getting ready for winter:
Do you bring any of your plants inside for the winter?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (27 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • JustChel
    JustChel April 14, 2013 at 1:04 pm   

I grew grass :) Kali loves it :p

• monkey:(:
    monkey:(: April 13, 2013 at 10:42 pm   

I am really excited about my little seeds growing! I have some basil, garlic and tomatoes growing. Today I started the catnip seeds, there is no reason to leave my cat out of the garden goodness hehehehe.

• Physis 3.0
    Physis 3.0 April 14, 2013 at 12:12 pm   

Exactly JustChel showed me her pot of wheatgrass she grew for her cat. Can't remember why she didn't grow catnip there was a reason.

You got the Italian garden growing! The garlic greens are just as delicious to use as the bulb.

• Tegorsk
    Tegorsk April 13, 2013 at 10:33 pm   

Last week planted a maypop.

• Physis 3.0
    Physis 3.0 April 14, 2013 at 12:30 pm   

I looked it up and that must be the passion flower you planted.
    That thing is one hell of a climber, it's climb all over everything! You got something to let it grow up on? I just read that the fruit is actually edible and has anti-anxiety properties.

Also here's what I found too - Stepping on these berries when mature often causes a loud 'popping' sound, thus the name of this plant.

• Ronin 47
    Ronin 47 April 13, 2013 at 6:30 pm   

Quiet week on the garden. I planted coriander and basil in the bathtub herb garden by my back door. They will be a pesto and the basis for a Thai green curry or two.
    I plan on pruning/ rosehipping my roses. I always take a anti- histamine before I do this as rose thorns contain histamine. It reduces swelling when I get stuck. I will burn the trimmings and put them into my fallow bed to the enrich the soil, which is clay based here.

Thursday I am off to the open day at the local Buddhist temple. It has a amazing Japanese style garden. Can't wait.

• Nurses1
    Nurses1 April 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm   

Everything around my house are perennials, so I just add here and there. The only thing left for me to do this spring is my veggie garden. Compost has been put in and everything tilled twice, one more time and it should be ok

• Physis 3.0
    Physis 3.0 April 13, 2013 at 2:24 pm   

Yeah those veggie gardens like a deeply well tilled garden bed with all the nutritious sh*t mixed right in good. You do it by hand or do you have a machine?

• Nurses1
    Nurses1 April 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm   

My husband does it by machine. Lol. I don't till at all he and our oldest do. Compost pile we all add to it, but they turn it and what nots. That about a 5x5' fenced in area at the back of our yard

• Physis 3.0
    Physis 3.0 April 13, 2013 at 2:40 pm   

There you go. That's free labor, I'd be taking advantage of that too. We definitely had to fence ours in, the dogs get in there and have a field day rolling and tearing it all to hell!

• daisychain
    daisychain April 13, 2013 at 1:51 pm   

I just planted a rosemary bush. We love rosemary in our family but its expensive fresh. At the moment it's a teeny plant so I'll have to wait until its bigger before we start taking some. It a hardy plant too which is even better.

• Physis 3.0
    Physis 3.0 April 13, 2013 at 2:09 pm   

I looove rosemary too - fresh is the best!
    I think its an annual up here because it doesn't like our cold. I might shoot for getting a rosemary plant and pot it so I can try again with keeping inside for the winter.

My mom and dad said that when they went to italy the rosemary plants are HUGE bushes all over the place!

• daisychain
    daisychain April 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm   

Yes we lived in Italy and they grow into huge bushes through stony dry bad,earth. Even I can't kill it off I hope!

• Physis 3.0
    Physis 3.0 April 13, 2013 at 2:26 pm   

Ooo that's definitely the plant for me too!
    I've been able to resurrect a plant back from the dead every now and then - but to keep em alive is another story…

• Physis 3.0
    Physis 3.0 April 13, 2013 at 1:43 pm   

Right now I'm gonna get all my housework and projects done today so tomorrow I can have fun taking the day to search through my parents' collection of pots and last year leftover seeds.

I can gather up my stuff I need for starting my seeds indoors. I think it's still too early to start anything up north but I can't wait!!!

Found a Marjoram packet hanging around and I grabbed that.

• anythingbiggerthanthis
    anythingbiggerthanthis April 13, 2013 at 1:39 pm   

Snow is still here.What is a good starter plant?-Inexperienced gardener.xx.

• Physis 3.0
    Physis 3.0 April 13, 2013 at 1:44 pm   

Do you like herbs, such as parsley, basil, lavender?

• anythingbiggerthanthis
    anythingbiggerthanthis April 13, 2013 at 1:52 pm   

Mostly,parsley and dill.

• Physis 3.0
    Physis 3.0 April 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm   

The herbs I think you'd enjoy growing as your first plant. They're fun because once they've grown, you can add em to food and eat em!

They grow excellent in containers but can be planted in ground fine (NOT MINT - invasive! They stay in pots)

And they tend to do well on the windowsill when indoors.

You can buy the seeds - fill pot with soil. Push a handful of dirt off the surface to the side. Sprinkle the seeds, smoothe the dirt back over. Water. Put in sunny location, either on windowsill or outside (weather permitting)

• ~beautiful-disaster~
    ~beautiful-disaster~ April 13, 2013 at 1:32 pm   

I'm still waiting for our snow to be gone. It's mid April already, snow was supposed to be gone in march! But I am going to buy some plants today for my house that I can replant in the yard one day when the snow is gone. :)

• Physis 3.0
    Physis 3.0 April 13, 2013 at 1:49 pm   

Same here, so far our snow has melted but we could wake up tomorrow with 10 feet on the ground. And the weather is rainy and c-c-c-cold!

I swear I always start seeds too soon because I swear you gotta wait till june to plant anything safely around here!

I love your idea of getting houseplants you can plant outside when the planting weather hits.

I can't wait to hear what you get!

• ~beautiful-disaster~
    ~beautiful-disaster~ April 13, 2013 at 1:51 pm   

I will let you know when I get back :) my husband is so happy that I am doing it. Apparently I need a hobby haha

• Physis 3.0
    Physis 3.0 April 13, 2013 at 1:54 pm   

Okay! *waits anxiously*

• ~beautiful-disaster~
    ~beautiful-disaster~ April 13, 2013 at 8:14 pm   

Ok for around the evergreens I bought bulbs called hosta, their assorted and gorgeous. And for other plants I bought forget me not seeds, nemophilla penny black seeds, pansy show Swiss giant seeds, and 6 bulbs for calla lily's they are deep purple. :D I got my indoor greenhouse kits and potting soil and planting tonight!!