Fight or flight?

By ^^v^^v^^ Latest Activity January 31, 2013 at 1:11 pm Views 656 Replies 79 Likes 3

^^v^^v^^

So I'm reading the book Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder, that a few members here recommended (thanks!) and I got to the section about brain chemicals. It talks about how our (we bipolar folk) brains may lack the ability to properly control and react appropriately to certain situations…whether emotional or physical.

Anyway, I am curious when you are put into a stressful situation (emotional/physical) do you fight or flight?

I am clearly a fighter, always have been and its gotten me in a good bit of trouble. What about you?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (79 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Lauryl
    Lauryl February 14, 2013 at 10:55 am   

I'm a flight type, I will run until you put my back to a wall. Then you better watch out, even a cornered mouse will bite and I don't fight fair.

My therapist thinks that's cus she thinks I'm aspie, I tend to run from most situations, even those others don't find stressful cus I get overwhelmed was too easily.

• daisychain
    daisychain February 15, 2013 at 4:32 pm   

Fight without a doubt

• kayce3129
    kayce3129 February 5, 2013 at 8:50 pm   

Fight most of the time… Unless its some thing like being afraid of love then it's flight all the way! lol

• resolver
    resolver February 5, 2013 at 9:22 am   

I am so much internally fighting the desire to post a Bruce Lee quote here… However I will seek relief and compromise and just offer the "water" analogy by Bruce Lee… I kinda am thinking that when it comes to BD we have a curse and a blessing, I surely understand that before I was diagnosed I didn't give a rats a** about psychology, neurology or any other ology or any thing to do with behavioral studies… but! After 17 years and countless experiences I have researched as much as I could and for that matter continuing to do so.
    Which leads me to … I know myself, I accept myself… I am confident that how I perceive things is true to myself… To cut a long winded ramble short… Fight or flight?
    it has been said that the biggest opposition that we can ever encounter is ourselves, so to what measure do we continue to fight? or by what measure do we escape…?

Yin yang wax off!

• cliff77
    cliff77 February 3, 2013 at 9:38 pm   

Fight, depending on the situation. The only time I may back down is if I'm putting someone I care about in harm's way.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ February 3, 2013 at 10:27 pm   

Good point i think im the same. For instance I won't drive as aggressive when someone is in the car with me.

• rosie_
    rosie_ February 3, 2013 at 7:50 pm   

Fighter… for a variety of reasons

I'll always stand my ground for better or worse

• sam83xx
    sam83xx February 1, 2013 at 2:39 am   

Defo a fighter

• Tegorsk
    Tegorsk January 31, 2013 at 8:08 pm   

Tend to fade backward, because I don't like confrontations. Sometimes, though, I spring out and speak loud and clear, usually no more than five words.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 11:46 pm   

Enough to make your point I'm sure

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 7:24 pm   

Yeah this is a huge area in my life that im trying to gain more self control. I mean ill never back down but im trying handle things with patience instead of swinging. What did you practice? I started as a kickboxer then studied Jujitsu and Muay Thai. I'm thinking about getting back into it, just to train and let off steam in a healthy way.

• menolle
    menolle January 31, 2013 at 7:15 pm   

Flight but hubby always forces me to fight first

• Ramie1965
    Ramie1965 January 31, 2013 at 6:27 pm   

I use to be a fighter. I would confront anyone, even if it was inappropriate. I'd fly off the handle over everything. Since my diagnosis, I have been more of a flight person. I try to avoid confrontation at any cost. But I notice I have lost my sense of humor too. Not sure if it's the meds, or if it's the bipolar rearing it's ugly head.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 7:24 pm   

Reply went to top

• winter kitty
    winter kitty January 31, 2013 at 5:52 pm   

I'm terribly afraid of confrontation to the point of extreme anxiety/panic. I have to remove myself from stressful situations or else run the risk of completely shutting down.

HOWEVER, this only applies to emotional stress. I can deal very well with physical threats. I used to be a boxer, so I can throw a mean punch and kick. :D

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 7:17 pm   

That's interesting of say I don't handle emotional stress well. I tend to loose control so I avoid it. Physical confrontation I never back down though

• daisychain
    daisychain January 31, 2013 at 5:32 pm   

I'm flight, dont need the confrontasion. If someone was really, hugly an asrse i'd fight, Im only humaan!

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 5:32 pm   

Makes sense

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 3:04 pm   

Yeah I feel ya, it makes a big difference. Nah no camero, But thinking that new stingray is pure sex on wheels…I need it. Trying to justify the purchase though. Good luck to you bf. I went into the Marines before being diagnosed, had a great time!

• ladybugggz
    ladybugggz January 31, 2013 at 3:24 pm   

Ooohhh that car is sexy! haha. You need it like I need a Camaro ZL1.
    I feel so pathetic having such awful road rage and trying to cut people off and such in my Mazda 3 hahaha.
    Oh you went into the Marines? Nice!
    I was actually watching funny videos of Marines dancing on youtube..I was like
    "Wow.. they must get REALLY bored!"

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 3:27 pm   

Yeah it was a impulsive manic decision, I had the idea one day sold all my furniture and and broke my lease the next day, and shipped of the day after that. It was fun. I got out as soon as I could though lol. I enjoy change, and it got boring.

• ladybugggz
    ladybugggz January 31, 2013 at 3:30 pm   

Ohhh I hate change. Like.. when Chris (boyfriend) told me he enlisted (he's actually waiting to come back to Austin from San Antonio right now since he had his ASVAB last night/this morning) I felt like my world crashed and burned. I even contemplated food poisoning him so he would miss it.. am I a horrible person? lol.
    How long were you in it??

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 3:38 pm   

I did one enlistment, but had to do 6 years instead of four since I had an intelligence job with a top secret clearance. It was fun but after a year and half I was ready for something different. Back then I was moving to a new city every year or so, so it was a big change. I'm doing better with the wanting to move, I've been here in east texas for two years now!!

• ladybugggz
    ladybugggz January 31, 2013 at 3:40 pm   

Yay Texas!
    Wait.. Chris is going to be doing an intelligence job.. does that mean he's gonna have to do more than what his contract is? o.O
    I'm perfectly happy keeping my little behind right here in Austin. However if
    during Christmas or something when I was with Chris and he got down and proposed to me asking him to marry him like.. after AIT training, ring or not, I'd say absolutely, haha. Cause then I could live on base with him. ^.^

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 3:43 pm   

And he will get paid more lol a lot of people get married for a bigger paycheck in the military then get divorced when out. Not saying to do that though lol. Ummm depends. If he has to get a top secret or higher clearance they usually require 6 years instead of the normal 4 because the clearance costs a bunch of money an people join for the clearance then get out so they can get a job in the civilian sector. A sandwich maker at subway inside the pentagon makes 80,000 a year just cause of the clearance.

• ladybugggz
    ladybugggz January 31, 2013 at 3:51 pm   

Oooh. I should bring that idea up to him! Like seriously.. I'm SUCH a good girlfriend. I literally just spent the last 3 hours cleaning his apartment so it's all clean when he gets home lol. He better take me out to dinner tonight. -.-
    AND that included me taking apart his ghetto vacuum cleaner like 3 times to empty the bag and get dust all over me. AND I have a solid black German Shepherd so there was his hair like everywhere. -.-
    He's texting me and he just said he had an interview where they reviewed all his stuff so he could get "top secret" and get sworn in.. does that mean he's gonna have to do 6 instead of 4?
    Dude I wanna make sandwhiches for $80,000 a year!

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 5:18 pm   

Lol you sound like a keeper. I dunno his recruiter will tell him. I had a very specialized job…some of them do require longer enlistments. Nice dog ;)

• ladybugggz
    ladybugggz January 31, 2013 at 6:26 pm   

He's on his way back now from the recruiting office - I got all dolled up for him. He was like "I'm sleepy and hungry. =[" and so we're gonna go out to dinner, and then he's probably gonna crash. But it's okay since I have work early in the morning, haha.
    I HOPE he thinks I'm a keeper! lol. I'm pretty sure he does. >.<
    And thank you! My boy just turned 5, and he's solid black, - 104 pounds lol.
    He's a retired police dog, so I get to talk to him in Czech, German, English, and a little bit of Hawaiian.
    I got his and my cats actual paw prints tattooed on my upper thigh.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 7:26 pm   

Bad ass!

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 2:33 pm   

Thanks for the input! I had a feeling in a manic state more would fight. I suppose testosterone levels should be taken into consideration…I don't think about the difference between male/female

• ladybugggz
    ladybugggz January 31, 2013 at 2:27 pm   

When I find myself manic, I'm the FIGHT type. I get really aggressive, and could very well have the potential to fight back.
    Now, if I'm not manic and just "normal" Leslie, I'm FLIGHT. I'll be gone in a New York minute!
    I have type 1.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 2:33 pm   

Reply went to top

• ladybugggz
    ladybugggz January 31, 2013 at 2:44 pm   

Hah. I didn't think about the male/female aspect of it either lol.
    Whenever I'm manic my road rage is horrible. Like.. my boyfriend has to drive everywhere. It wasn't until last week when my Psychiatrist was like.. "It's my job - to get you on a medication to calm you down.. you know Leslie, this is Texas. It's only a matter of time till you piss off someone on the road enough who carries a gun in their car. Then what are you gonna do?"
    …I was like… "oh sh*t… never thought of that.."
    lol.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 2:46 pm   

Oh don't get me started! I live in Texas to, my girlfriend made me take my gun out of the car because of gotten in several fights on the road. I've rammed cars and pulled people out of them :/ like you I sometimes don't drive, when I'm on edge

• ladybugggz
    ladybugggz January 31, 2013 at 2:50 pm   

Oh damn.. I'm not THAT bad.. if anyone cuts me off, I'll ride up on them and/or cut them back off and brake check them - that's like.. the extent of it. Maybe give them the finger. But that's in extreme cases. lol.
    This new medication I'm on though seems to be helping - even though it's just been a week - I still feel somewhat calmer.
    …now I just get impulses to go shopping, haha.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 2:54 pm   

Yeah…people do that to me and I snap. HUGE trigger for me, a cause for many red light fights. Medication has been a huge help. I also am careful of what music I listen to, it helps me not drive as aggressive. I've even considered getting rid of the sports car but don't think I can

• ladybugggz
    ladybugggz January 31, 2013 at 2:58 pm   

Ohhh if you have a year 2010 or up Camaro, I WANT IT!. lol Sorry, I'm rather obsessed with camaros. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy cause every time I see one on the road I'm like .. ooohhhh!
    Anyways, yes! Music. My goodness - has such a toll on my mood when I'm in the car. Like.. if I'm listening to Five Finger Death Punch or Disturbed, you better believe I'm gonna think I'm hot sh*t on the road and people need to get out of my way. Especially on IH-35 or Mopac here in Austin.
    Now, ever since I found out last week my boyfriend is joining the army, I've been listening to country songs, and last night some Adam Lambert song came on and I burst out crying when I was driving back to the apartment, along with going like 5 miles under the speed limit, haha.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 3:04 pm   

Reply went to top

• bipolarIImom
    bipolarIImom January 31, 2013 at 2:19 pm   

Fight. I'm not one to back down. Not always a good thing.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 2:22 pm   

What type of bipolar are you? Do you think your fight or flight changes with mood?

• bipolarIImom
    bipolarIImom January 31, 2013 at 2:23 pm   

I'm always fight. I have type 2

• minnie the minx
    minnie the minx January 31, 2013 at 2:12 pm   

Fight…always have done

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 2:22 pm   

What type of bipolar are you?

• Maree73
    Maree73 January 31, 2013 at 2:56 pm   

Type 1

• Maree73
    Maree73 January 31, 2013 at 2:00 pm   

I want to fight but I normally flight

• 78rpms
    78rpms January 31, 2013 at 1:49 pm   

Fight but learning

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 1:50 pm   

Bipolar 1 or 2 or other?

• Momma2all
    Momma2all January 31, 2013 at 1:34 pm   

Flight. Definitely.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 1:36 pm   

Bipolar 1 or 2?

• WhosEddieOcasio
    WhosEddieOcasio January 31, 2013 at 1:22 pm   

I used to be a fighter. It also got me into a lot of trouble. Lately I've been able to take a nice deep breath walk away and I try to keep my iPhone stocked with good music and keep my headphones on me. When I'm around people I know are going to annoy me I throw my headphones on and take a couple steps away. Still lose it a bit. But a bit more calmed than usual.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 1:25 pm   

That's exactly what I do man. There's a thread somewhere around here about music to let off steam to, it's funny how music can influence me so easily. I try to listen to chill relaxing stuff to help me keep calm. Certain stuff like limp bizkit break stuff will only add fuel to the fire.

• WhosEddieOcasio
    WhosEddieOcasio January 31, 2013 at 1:29 pm   

Oh yea I try to stay away from anything hardcore lol. I used to have Korn and ICP on mine(not a good idea lol). Then I was hooked on this Linkin Park song "No More Sorrow" I would listen to it all day and just stood angry and hype most the time. Now I have mellow yet upbeat stuff like Fun, 30 seconds to mars and once a while the Lumineers.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 1:50 pm   

Are you bipolar 1 or 2 or other?

• WhosEddieOcasio
    WhosEddieOcasio January 31, 2013 at 1:52 pm   

She has me on general bipolar(forgot the name I think it starts with an M) until I start my meds in two weeks. I was just recently diagnosed but had symptoms for years. I finally decided to find out when I was just losing my cool in public a lot.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 1:53 pm   

I feel ya, well im new here and this place has helped a lot. Keep up the self improvement

• WhosEddieOcasio
    WhosEddieOcasio January 31, 2013 at 1:56 pm   

Ty! I noticed that. It's cool to be around people who suffer the same. People don't seem to understand the crap we go threw and I get tired of having to explain to people that I'm not psychotic. Thanks again!

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 1:57 pm   

Yeah that's my biggest thing about this place, people here actually relate. Well sounds strange but if you ever need to talk or vent, hit me up. We are all here to help

• WhosEddieOcasio
    WhosEddieOcasio January 31, 2013 at 1:58 pm   

I really appreciate that and same here bro!

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 1:22 pm   

Thanks for the input. I'm curious to see what everyone chooses. I wonder if there's a correlation between the type of bipolar? I've noticed some people here, including myself, seem to have a quicker, sometimes uncontrolled, temper. I'm definitely quick to to fight, when often it isn't even necessary…something I'm trying very hard to work on

• John Bukowski Galt
    John Bukowski Galt January 31, 2013 at 1:18 pm   

Of course, it depends on the situation. But, my body goes with "flight" a lot. However, the third "f" that gets neglected a lot is "freeze". Fight, flight, or freeze. An example would be when an animal in nature is approached by a predator and they remain perfectly still so that the predator doesn't see them or thinks they're dead. Sometimes I freeze and then engage in "flight". Although, I have had situations where I have fought.

• ^^v^^v^^
    ^^v^^v^^ January 31, 2013 at 1:19 pm   

That's very true, freeze should be included. I've seen it many times. Thanks for your input!

• Continued on Next Page Arrow-right