Have you been in jail or prison?

By Anonymous Latest Activity January 6, 2013 at 10:40 pm Views 402 Replies 15 Likes 2

Anonymous

I have. It was a full-range manic episode which put me there. Be careful. This could happen to you if you go off your meds.. Don't underestimate the damage Bipolar can do. Do what you're told by your medical professionals. The Cops that delt with me, treated me no different from anyone else. They laughed when I told them I was bipolar and needed my medications. They didn't let me have my in-hailer for asthma I suffer. No prescription for my fibromyalga pain either. Not every jail or Cop is the same. There are good Cops and bad Cops. Keep that in mind. I'm glad we have them with us and they go through risking their own life to save others. They keep crime off the street. The one's I had, just happened to be down right mean and dirty. Be safe. Take your medication.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (15 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Sketchymomma
    Sketchymomma January 7, 2013 at 7:37 pm   

Wow didnt realize there are so many others out there like me! I've been diag for about 5 years but have had " episodes" my whole life -manic episode ended me up n jail way back n college- the cops over reacted n didn't know how to handle the situation & at the time I didn't kno what it was… They thought I was on drugs or alcohol poisoning .. I was mased and beaten with huge bruises around my arms and neck..cuz u kno a100 lb college soriarty girl cud take them out! Ended up w PTSD too! Geez

• Anonymous
    Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 7:34 pm   

I am beginning to wonder if there are more on this site who are to ashamed to come out like me. Wish they would cause it would help me heal. Post anonymously guys!

• JAW1980
    JAW1980 January 7, 2013 at 6:45 pm   

I got 4 days for showing up late to court! The court case was for destruction of property. Damn vodka!

• Nagatha
    Nagatha January 7, 2013 at 6:39 pm   

What I went through was so disturbing that I've blocked it from my mind. It haunts me now and then and because of it I have PTSD. I had the most terrifying experience which damaged me permanently both physically and mentally. I am a law abiding citizen. Clean record. I did not deserve the brutality I went through something horrible and in the end all charges dismissed. I'm proven innocent by the judicial system. There was no need for what they did to me.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 7:36 pm   

PTSD only makes matters worse.

• shy b
    shy b January 7, 2013 at 6:08 pm   

sorry u had to go thru that. i was only in lockup for hours for domestic issues but due to my bipolar i blacked out until i realized i was being arrested:( the cop i had was also a mean cop and was only suppose to give all a pta, instead arrested us all but we got him in trouble for the way he went about everything and how he was talking to us and how he was letting other stuff go on in his presence.

• Jdubdenver
    Jdubdenver January 7, 2013 at 3:51 pm   

I hate that our country puts so many people in jail when there are no doubt better ways to help people.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 7:52 pm   
    Edited January 8, 2013 at 8:08 pm by Anonymous

it's too bad

• Juliana Morrow
    Juliana MorrowCA January 7, 2013 at 10:08 am   

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Shouldn't be that way. Many states use a program called CIT. It stands for Crisis Intervention Team and police departments train a certain number of officers to help in mental health crisis situations. Every police organization should have some! See link for more info and history behind.

http://www.citinternational.org/cit-overview....

• goldbpgirl33
    goldbpgirl33 January 7, 2013 at 5:04 am   

Yes for this is how I got diagnosed with bipolar …I was arrested and spent 9 days in jail! This all happened at the end of September in 2006, didn't get hospitalized and diagnosed until the beginning of November of that year (2006) I believe this full blown manic episode was the worst ever but also a blessing in disguise, getting the right diagnosis of bipolar was a relief it explained everything! Thank God finally after 22 years I had an explanation to the ups and downs !!!!! Wahoo!!!

• Luvles12
    Luvles12 January 7, 2013 at 3:16 am   

I'm so sorry for your treatemnet. As a mental health professsional, when someone went to jail for over 30 days then our services stopped so I knew people would not get them while incarcerated. Not having meds/treatement is also bound to make things worse. I've never been in jail but have visited the prison systems and no enough that I don't ever want to be there.

• Maree73
    Maree73 January 7, 2013 at 2:29 am   

No but talked my way out not paying my reg & license outdated. I think he felt sorry for me cause I should have been fined $$!$ lots but let me go.

• Ponce5
    Ponce5 January 6, 2013 at 10:54 pm   

I have been there before. One time the police beat me down before taking me in. Of course my hands were cuffed at the time. I have only had 1 ok experience with the police out of about 60-70 "run ins" with them. In my book 99% of them are mean and dirty.