Blunted Emotions

By [deleted] Latest Activity November 9, 2012 at 7:24 am Views 736 Replies 34 Likes 1

[deleted]

Everyone talks about how they " feel much more than ordinary people" but I feel less. I don't feel hardly anything most of the time. I have great difficulty feeling love or loss. Negative emotions are even more difficult to feel than positive ones. Anyone else like this, or an I the only one here?
(my therapist says its due to childhood abuse)

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (34 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • mandapanda88
    mandapanda88 November 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm   

This is either down to abuse or over medicated by your mood stabiliser

• spettaway
    spettaway November 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm   

I feel less,too. Not sure what love is. I see my grand kids and I feel nothing. It upsets me. My emotions feel dead much of the time. Even really bad stuff I don't feel the emotions. Pdoc says PTSD and I've gone thru so much.
    I care about people very much and have almost of compassion. I have lots of wonderful feelings about my dogs. Holidays I could care less. It's disturbing to menu don't 'feel'. I can sure get really really p*sed rage.

• Nickeldoor
    Nickeldoor November 11, 2012 at 1:16 am   

Yeah i could totally understand. I read about articles that if children grew up in an environment of neglect and apathy, when they are older, they wouldn't be able to feel for anyone or something…

When i started working in my young 20s, I noticed that my colleagues were hugging their children, patting their head and kissing them. I couldn't feel anything at that time.

I left my country for another neighboring country for 4 years, and I started my own therapy, getting my own pets, and showing them love and affection.

Now, I'm glad I could relate to children, play with them, kiss them, hug and sweet talk to them. I'm happy I am a changed person and not a victim of my dad n mom's treatment.

I'll pray for you to keep the courage on, and find your way to happiness.

• John Bukowski Galt
    John Bukowski Galt November 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm   

I feel blunted emotions or flat affect when I am in a depressive phase. Instead of feeling incredibly melancholy and crying all the time, I just become extremely indifferent and I don't care about a damn thing.

• Nickeldoor
    Nickeldoor November 11, 2012 at 1:09 am   

I think being compassionate is our power of understanding we came through bad times when we were young, and being able to relate that to others in compassionate ways, simply just shows how strong and wiser we have become.

• rose fairy
    rose fairy November 9, 2012 at 9:24 am   

It wiered to be like that
    To fell deeply for others but not care for myself

• rose fairy
    rose fairy November 9, 2012 at 8:42 am   

I fell for others but I can't fell for myself

• jeb1981
    jeb1981 November 9, 2012 at 7:56 am   

have you just learned to ignore or push away your feelings?

• Nickeldoor
    Nickeldoor November 11, 2012 at 12:53 am   

I can totally understand and I'm sorry you are feeling that way. I was hurt really badly by my loved ones (mom, sister, and my ex-gfs), that I stop loving others. It was more of protection than avoiding, because I know at this critical stage of recovering, it is imperative that I recover first, than to be a punching bag for their emotional trash.

I've been doing very well now, and the only thing I just regret is that I may have let love slipped by, but seriously I wouldn't want to screw another relationship up especially when I'm low. Not worth doing that.