"Coming Out"

By amsclafani Latest Activity October 28, 2012 at 12:03 pm Views 279 Replies 7

amsclafani

I recently was hospitalized and missed a week of work and class (PhD student, work part time at my University). My supervisor was obviously concerned, and she figured when my friend told her I wouldn't have access to my iPhone, that I probably wasn't hospitalized for chest pains. Anyway, I told her upon return that I was Bipolar and was diagnosed a long time ago. She took it very well and was very supportive, but I can't seem to get over this fear of opening up to people about living with BP. I don't want their pity, I don't want to scare them, but I am tired of lying. Thoughts?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (7 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Tegorsk
    Tegorsk October 29, 2012 at 11:50 am   

Bp is popular (faddish) right now which is good and bad. People have more good examples. There is more information floating around.

I think I'd keep it to myself unless a crisis comes up, then tell whoever needs to know, in confidentiality - and in advance as much as possible.

This would be a supervisor, manager, advisor, and human resources department where applicable.

Most secrets leak out, but most people are pretty well-behaved about other people's situations. If not, they're jackasses and probably act like it all the time. Very likely everybody knows about them already. Being a jackass (either the mean kind or the ignorant, insensitive kind) is way worse than being a manic-depressive.

• bipolarIImom
    bipolarIImom October 28, 2012 at 3:20 pm   

I hold my diagnosis very close to the vest. There are very few people who know because I've had it used against me. You have to choose carefully with whom you share this information with. Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!

• luciipearce
    luciipearce October 28, 2012 at 1:38 pm   

I think it's a very personal choice, because sometimes the people you tell don't react with support but with judgement. I tell the people who need to know, my family , my boss and my closest friend, so that they can understand my behaviour. But I wouldn't tell any1 else :) hope this helps

• amsclafani
    amsclafani October 28, 2012 at 12:47 pm   

I'm in school for my PhD in higher education. And I work with people who have professional backgrounds in counseling, so I like to think they're more attuned to this.

• capricious1
    capricious1 October 28, 2012 at 12:43 pm   

Out of curiosity, what are you in school for?

• capricious1
    capricious1 October 28, 2012 at 12:42 pm   

I'm glad that she took it so well. I'm all for sharing your diagnosis with friends and family, but would become far too paranoid in the workplace if my supervisor knew. Businesses are largely geared towards protecting themselves, as opposed to their individual employees and unfortunately, BP does not translate to reliable. I do hope this is not the case for you.